Opening: Director of Commercial Construction
The Project Director oversees the scheduling, coordination, and supervision of all project-related field operations. This includes directing the project from concept to completion to meet client expectations and to maintain McAlvain standards of quality, productivity, efficiency, cost effectiveness, and profitability.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitors the work performance of Project Managers to ensure all projects are completed according to contract specifications and requirements, within assigned budgets, to the quality standards of McAlvain, on schedule, and to the expectations of the client.
- Facilitates and ensures cordial, responsive, and professional relationships between each Project Manager and project owners and representatives.
- Coordinates Project Manager project assignment and oversees that the Project Manager manages and administers all aspects of assigned projects as required and in the best interest of McAlvain.
- Collaborates with Project Managers to establish a plan for each project and to establish a positive working relationship with the owner (and representatives) and with McAlvain’s Superintendent.
- Receives and critically evaluates reports and responds with immediate corrective action to any variations from the standards for the job costing, scheduling, quality, and client satisfaction levels.
- Reviews each Project Manager’s updates regarding progress, status, issues, and concerns about each project. Facilitates timely and appropriate proactive project management strategies as needed.
- Resolves client complaints or concerns promptly and productively.
- Meets or exceeds budgeted projects for assigned projects.
- Performs all directives from the Vice President / Director of Operations in a timely and satisfactory manner.
- Risk Management: Ensures project managers are following Risk Management protocols and standards as follows, but not limited to:
- General understanding of project insurance and what coverages/endorsements we need (COI, project specific, names additional insured, non-contributory, WOS).
- Understanding claims process and when project risk needs to be made aware to the Operations Coordinator or President in regard to general liability claims. These needs to be submitted and opened before any work starts.
- General understanding of Builders Risk coverage and the importance to have in place before commencing. Obtaining owner builders risk policy if they carry it.
- Understanding lien rights including filing 90 days after last worked and 120 days from filed date.
- Overall understanding of lien waivers including not signing away unpaid change order work that has been completed that month.
- Understanding owner PP bonds and list of bonded subs.
- Closing out bonds and capturing additional premiums in Cost Plus jobs if we exceeded original amount.
- Understanding the subcontractor prequalification process to mitigate risk for overall project/company health.
- Understanding subcontract language. Verifying prime insurance/risk is carried through to subcontract. Knowing/verifying TM subcontracts
- Schedules: Ensures Project Managers are following schedule standards as follows:
- Updating and maintaining current working schedule.
- Understanding schedule/sub impacts and putting people on notice with documentation.
- Reporting to President and Operations about schedule delays.
- Maintaining up to date schedule transparency with owner and company team throughout project.
- Financial: General understanding of financial requirements to ensure successful project including:
- Understanding the contract mechanism (cost plus + fee or fixed fee, LS, TM).
- Enforcing billings due end of month verifying to contract mechanisms.
- Understanding cash flow.
- Understanding and ability to train on Cost Reports. Enforcing due date by 15th every month.
- Understanding of WIP (overbilling, underbilling, no billing, profit, earned revenue) and enforcing due date.
- Understanding cost tracking (back-charges, change work, TM work).
- Understanding phase codes and tying them to contract items.
- Enforcing change order process to be approved before work.
- Enforcing proactive communication with owner of change order work notification and costs collected and submitted in timely manner.
- Enforcement of subcontractors to not work without approval.
- Being on time & prepared for meetings.
- Holding team project accountable.
- Follow through with project team members.
- Timely responses with all communication.
- Supervises assigned Project Managers to achieve optimal job performance and adherence to company policies, procedures and processes.
- Attends all required project meetings, including pre-construction and project start-up meetings.
- Maintains the confidentiality of the company’s client and personnel information, data and documents.
- Recognizes developing problems and opportunities and moves swiftly to take appropriate action.
- Seeks out better and more efficient ways to accomplish company and project objectives.
- Maintains the cleanliness (inside and out), maintenance and appearance of all company-issued vehicles at all times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Duties Related to Our Commitment to Safety
- Promotes the health, safety and welfare of the job site.
- Ensures all relevant sections of the company’s safety management plan are implemented and understood.
- Coordinates accident and incident investigations to determine cause and to take appropriate corrective action as required.
- Oversees compliance with all relevant health and safety legislative requirements.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, architecture, or engineering required.
- A minimum of ten years in construction as a Project Manager for a general contracting firm similar to MCI. At least one year as an MCI Project Manager. Experience with design/build projects required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
Other Competencies, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of how to build trust with your team.
- Knowing when to get consensus or when to make a decision on authority.
- Leading the example by principles and word.
- Ability to identify team’s strengths/weakness and re-aligning resources as necessary or identify training needs.
- Having humility.
- The ability to receive and provide constructive feedback with team.
- Understand and ability to train direct reports on crucial conversations.
- Valid driver’s license preferred. This position requires a reliable means of transportation for frequent travel to and from the office and various job sites.
- Proficiency with spreadsheet and project tracking software.
- Ability to communicate effectively with office and field personnel and establish and maintain productive client relationships. Must be able to direct the work on all levels of construction projects.
- Strong communication, writing, organizational, negotiating and management skills.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints to accurately prepare competitive, yet profitable bids and to effectively plan and schedule complex construction projects.
- Ability to write, read, understand, interpret, follow, and enforce construction documents and contracts with clients and subcontractors.
- A working knowledge of all aspects of the construction trades (including practical applications of the Uniform Building Code—UBS).
- Ability to perform routine and complex calculations, accurate job costing, and financial data analysis to facilitate proactive management.
- Ability to take reasonable action and make sound business decisions in order to carry out the responsibilities of this position within the parameters of the company’s established company policies.
- Ability to productively and tactfully handle difficult situations.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and plan workload to meet deadlines. Consistently seeks better and more efficient ways to accomplish objectives.
- Demonstrates sound business judgment, decision making, initiative, attendance and reliability.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. On occasion it may be necessary to lift and carry or manipulate items of up to 25 pounds, walk over uneven or unpaved ground to reach a worksite in construction zones. This position may be required to perform a variety of construction tasks in all areas and aspects of the construction project—including scaffold or platform work, confined spaces and exposure to outside elements. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, stand, walk, bend, use hands, computer, and have specific vision abilities to include close and distance vision, and ability to adjust focus working with computer and business equipment. This position requires the ability to work extended hours and flexible schedules as the workload demands. The Project Director must maintain a professional appearance and demeanor appropriate to this position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
McAlvain is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free
- Medical, Dental and Prescription plan
- Vision plan
- Flexible Spending Option
- 401k with discretionary match
- Supplemental Benefits
- PTO & Holidays
“I work for McAlvain because of the consistency my family and I need, the support and respect from my co-workers I deserve, the challenge of work I expect and the opportunity for personal growth and achievement I crave. ” – Lenny Thomason, Concrete Superintendent. Lenny joined McAlvain in 2006 as a laborer with an attitude of “when opportunity knocks, answer it!” Lenny learned from the best, worked hard as a team player each day and advanced himself up through carpenter, lead man, foreman and currently serves as Concrete Superintendent. Today, Lenny continues to be an outstanding employee and enjoys helping others around him be the best they can be. Look for Lenny as a member of the McAlvain family!
Applications are retained for consideration for 30 days after date of application.